AddMe
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Board Feed
We hope you enjoy your visit. We are the BEST Conure Forum on the web! All Conures, all the time! So come & join our flock!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access all the member forums. We also have forums on other birds and pets for our members that have more than just Conures. There are forums on Lost & Found, Rescues, Breeders and more. In the lobby you will be able view the live chat, jokes, polls and web cams.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Weird things conures do!
Topic Started: Oct 24 2006, 09:20 AM (4,932 Views)
BUUZBEE
Member Avatar
Administrator-Web Owner
Odd Behaviors or "What the HECK is he doing?"

Head Bobbing: I've read that this is mostly a baby gesture. They do this to tell show their parents that they are hungry. Apparently, they continue to do it in adulthood as an "attention getter."

Backing Up: When your bird backs up to your hand or whatever and rubs her behind on you, basically... hmmm...well.... she's in love :) Its a female sexual maneuver and you should feel flattered - she "wants" you :)

Pecking: I have no idea what this means, but apparently it is a normal behavior for birds. Coco does it when he is really concentrating on something, like tearing up a paper towel.

Beak Grinding: Basically this means "I'm a happy camper." coco grinds his beak mostly at night when he is relaxed and content. But sometimes he will do it during the day after play time or after eating a particularly pleasing meal.

UBEs: UBE stands for "Unidentified Bird Emergency" - Every now and then, birds will become startled "out of the blue" and will go into a panic. This usually consists of flying frantically or flapping their wings and screeching at the top of their lungs. There doesn't have to be a reason, they just do it. It doesn't seem to happen very often and there is usually NOTHING going on... I mean total silence. The "episode" only lasts a few seconds and then they act as if nothing ever happened :) Who knows?

Wing Flapping: When your bird gently flaps his wings close to his body, he wants to come to you. Usually this happens when I walk near or stand close to cocos cage.

French Kissing: For some reason, Conures will sometimes try to 'slip you the tongue' when you kiss them. Beware though, the experts warn against letting them do it. Apparently, we humans have bacteria in our mouths for which birds do not have an immunity. So "safe" kissing only :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sunshine's Lover
Unregistered

I have a fact! The reason Conures bathe when the vac. cleaner is running is because they relate the sound to running water!
Quote Post Goto Top

Nikki
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Okay, this post almost completely answered my question.. but I still have an unclear point.

Connor, my new half-moon, he's been home since Saturday, YAY! (Was supposed to be called Scout, but that's a long story) Sits on his bath dish. That's where he sleeps and where he hangs out most of the time. While he's up there, he doesn't really grind his beak, it's more of a clacking/grinding while he watches me and occasionally he'll make a squeak or a purring noise. Does that mean he's happy, sleepy, or mad? I've read several places and I can't get a solid answer...lol

Bird_Lover
Member Avatar
Silver Member
It sounds like a content, sleepy conure to me! :)

Nikki
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Good! Thanks for the reassurance Bird_Lover!

maxscumbag
No Avatar
One of mine likes to be with me on the couch and try to bury himself between me and the arm of the couch. The feathers on his head and the back of his neck will fluff out too. What is that all about??

conure58
Member Avatar
Administrator
maxscumbag
Oct 14 2008, 07:14 PM
One of mine likes to be with me on the couch and try to bury himself between me and the arm of the couch. The feathers on his head and the back of his neck will fluff out too. What is that all about??
Sounds like he's found a place where he's very comfortable. :D

Summer loves to bury herself in an old, 'holey' shirt (when I'm not wearing it..lol), acts like she's trying to dig a hole and gets all fluffy-headed too.

littlesun
No Avatar
Advanced Member
Do conures hiss? My conure did this last night and tonight when I went to cover him (he was already asleep, and I apparently woke him. It was a very quiet ssss sound. So funny. He does the head bopping sometimes, and beak grinds when I talk to him, or when listening to soft music. He has done the wing flapping close to his body when I come up to his cage and talk to him. I'm glad to know this is also a happy thing. So cute.

Conure234
No Avatar
Advanced Member
My GCC dances A LOT! As soon as I come home, he comes on my shoulder and dances right in my face...the dancing always ends with a kiss ( more like a cross between a kiss and a bite). He also stomps his foot while dancing...pretty darn cute. :P :P
Oh yes, and sometimes when he's "sleeping" he mumbles...I think...is that even mumbling?? Hm

littlesun
No Avatar
Advanced Member
My sun will make a very soft hissing sound if you have to uncover him for any reason at night. lol He treasures his sleep!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Web Links · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Conure Crazy's official You Tube page! Subscribe today!

Animal Pets Dogs Cats Birds