AddMe
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Board Feed
We hope you enjoy your visit. We are the BEST Conure Forum on the web! All Conures, all the time! So come & join our flock!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access all the member forums. We also have forums on other birds and pets for our members that have more than just Conures. There are forums on Lost & Found, Rescues, Breeders and more. In the lobby you will be able view the live chat, jokes, polls and web cams.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Why does my conure rub her beak on things?
Topic Started: Jul 1 2009, 10:41 AM (5,876 Views)
SaraSondermann
Member Avatar
My Yellow-Sided Green Cheeked Conure, Ziggy, always rubs her beak on things rather quickly. At first I thought it was just to clean it off, but she also does it randomly when her beak is already clean. She'll rub the left side of it, and then the right side, very quickly. She does this mostly on her perch, but she does it on our hands, as well. What does this mean???

On a sidenote, I took Ziggy to the vet yesterday, and he said she looks like a perfectly healthy bird! He said she was also a very good and tame bird, and that they didn't need to take precautions when holding her. She actually almost fell asleep while he was holding her on her back! They loved her there! :grinthumbsup:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

conure58
Member Avatar
Administrator
My Conures both rub their beaks for no apparent reason too. It's just one of those strange things our birds do, I guess. :huh:

n2xuw
Member Avatar
Slave to my Parrots
At a seminar last fall I heard a speaker address the beak rubbing. The thought is that because of a bird's vision capabilities they are actually laying down "colors" that other birds can see - kind a territorial thing I guess. Makes sense to me. My sun likes to stroke my cheek with his beak this way and I definitely feel like he is "marking" me! My cockatiel always gets really annoyed when he sees the sun doing this.

Dusky
Member Avatar
Yep , Same here ! My Dusky conure is always rubbing his beak on his food bowls , perches , rope perches , and the bars on the cage . I thought he was still sick from his cold , and that was why he was doing it , but i dont believe that is it . I just think some birds like to rub their beaks on things to show us how Crazy & Funny they can be . At least i hope there is nothing wrong with him , because he does rub his beak on stuff ALOT ! :)

conure58
Member Avatar
Administrator
n2xuw
Jul 1 2009, 04:24 PM
At a seminar last fall I heard a speaker address the beak rubbing. The thought is that because of a bird's vision capabilities they are actually laying down "colors" that other birds can see - kind a territorial thing I guess. Makes sense to me. My sun likes to stroke my cheek with his beak this way and I definitely feel like he is "marking" me! My cockatiel always gets really annoyed when he sees the sun doing this.
Interesting.. I had never heard of that before.

BUUZBEE
Member Avatar
Administrator-Web Owner
I always assumed it was their natural way to wear down their beaks to keep them from overgrowing.

(moved from chit-chat to conure talk)

hal9000
Member Avatar
Gold Member
That's very interesting Becky. I've never heard about that, though birds apparently can see colours we can't.

Also, they have a lot of nerves in their beak, that's why they like it when you stroke it, so I've always assumed it feels good to them to rub it on stuff.

n2xuw
Member Avatar
Slave to my Parrots
I've watched my sun, Pete do this in a couple of different ways; if his beak is dirty or seems itchy he will rub it on anything with quick strokes until he's satisfied. This "laying down of color" is different. He will sit on a perch and engage in long, slow strokes in both directions. I've even seen him stop and look at what he was doing as if he wanted to make sure it was right. He'll even purr when he does it. I don't see my cockatiels do this at all - they just like to get their beaks covered in sweet potato or oatmeal and then fly up to the ceiling fan to clean their schnozes on the fan blades lol!

SaraSondermann
Member Avatar
Wow, so many answers! Thanks, guys. All of these answers make sense. The more I read on this forum, the more I'm beginning to understand my Ziggy. Thank you so much :)

jessica
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Igor is always rubbing his beak.
It's ususally when he has freshies all over his face.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Conure Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Conure Crazy's official You Tube page! Subscribe today!

Animal Pets Dogs Cats Birds