AddMe
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Board Feed
We hope you enjoy your visit. We are the BEST Conure Forum on the web! All Conures, all the time! So come & join our flock!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access all the member forums. We also have forums on other birds and pets for our members that have more than just Conures. There are forums on Lost & Found, Rescues, Breeders and more. In the lobby you will be able view the live chat, jokes, polls and web cams.

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Smelly Conure
Topic Started: Jan 3 2011, 01:47 PM (2,915 Views)
SkittleBug9719
Member Avatar
So Mojo is starting to smell bad and it is starting to make our house smell not very pleasant. I clean his cage on a regular basis and give him baths but he still seems to smell bad. Is there any Conure-safe products I can use to make him/his cage not so smelly?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dusky
Member Avatar
A smelly Conure ..... That is weird because i have 4 birds and none of them smell bad at all . We as well keep a very clean house , clean cages , and our birds bathe also .

I can tell you i have heard that some birds (Just like people) have their own unique body odor . My Caiques have a similar odor , but it doesn't smell bad as it just smells like cardboard . I have heard some people say the smell of caiques makes them sick , but my house never smells like anything but a house ... lol

Unfortunately i will be of no help on this topic , i am sure Cathy may be able to help you since she has had many experiences with a lot of different stuff !

Cathy
Member Avatar
Gold Member
Never heard of a conure that starts to smell, but i have read before about another parrots that started to smell.

They usually have some type of infection. Smelly droppings can be a symptom of a bacterial infection. Other smells might mean an ear or yeast infection. So if your conure is smelly.. Take him to the vet and get him checked out.
I know the conures got a spes odor from the white feather on the lower back. (dont know the english word) But that smells 24/7.
Edited by Cathy, Jan 4 2011, 05:00 AM.

kermits
Member Avatar
I must admit i have never noticed a smell from kermit, or any of my other birds ,so i can not really help you on this one

BUUZBEE
Member Avatar
Administrator-Web Owner
mine only smell when they get wet.... does your bird take baths? What do you line the cage with? My house has never had a "bird smell" to it

a quick story...
many many years back i was at a neighbors house, they had a sun that had a stench to it.... it turned out that the water dish had gone sour (stupid owner!) from dropped food and the bird had taken a bath in the dirty water... it took the bird being bathed in clean water a few times to wash the filth away!!!

SkittleBug9719
Member Avatar
Well I try and give him a bath by me at least once a week and I every day I am sure to change his water because Mojo is famous for dipping his food in one of his water dishes, he gets a look on his face like "come on mom, get your head out of your bum" whenever I accidentally let his water evaporate so I'm very good about his water. I line his tray with news papers so I don't really see a problem. Maybe if I take his cage apart and scrub each section individually it will improve the smell.

sky1
No Avatar
Advanced Member
I have four budgies and a conure they dont smell i even rub my face and knose on my conure and have not noticed any smell i would clean his cage as you said and give him a bath every day for a week and see if the smell goes if it does not i would take him to the vets for a check up

kitkat750
Member Avatar
I have a Rose Crowned Conure, and he smells really bad, we've had him about a month now, he's about 18 Wks he's only just started to smell, It's not his cage because that soen't smell when he's not in there. So you are not alone with this strange odour, and it is really bad... :'(

As for the white feather smell, he doesn't have any!!

But this had been very helpful, think a trip to the vets maybe in order....

Cathy
Member Avatar
Gold Member
I dont know if its normal for those type of conure to have that white oder feather, but i know it is for green cheeks and for blue cheeks. As i seardch around the net for what it could be... Well u can read my earlier post i think its a good idea to take it to the vet for a check up.

Earlier post:
They usually have some type of infection. Smelly droppings can be a symptom of a bacterial infection. Other smells might mean an ear or yeast infection. So if your conure is smelly.. Take him to the vet and get him checked out.
I know the conures got a spes odor from the white feather on the lower back. (dont know the english word) But that smells 24/7.

kitkat750
Member Avatar
Thanks Cathy,

I called the breeder, he said they do have an odour, and there way of attracting a mate, i asked about the infection thing and he said we'd notice a difference inhis droppings, so i'm going to give it a couple of days, and see how it goes, then make an appointment at the vets...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Health Questions & Chat · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Conure Crazy's official You Tube page! Subscribe today!

Animal Pets Dogs Cats Birds