Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Help us keep ads off our board!

Add us to your bookmarks!
(works in FireFox and Internet Explorer)
Please read the Discussion Board Rules before joining the board!
New Madonna haters: Come introduce yourself!
Board Help & Updates

Stop Forum Spam

Full List of Emoticons
Thread Indexes:

One Stop Index Thread | Persons | Subjects A - L | Subjects M - Z | Aisha's Lawsuit

Life Universe Everything Forum Index

Barf-inducing Madonna links or news -

Welcome to The Anti-Madonna Discussion Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Teens today and Madonna; - also, kids and pre-teens
Topic Started: Sep 20 2005, 04:37 PM (1,505 Views)
flea dip
Member Avatar
Rock Star From Mars

I noticed in the thread about the "Hung Up" Music Video, that a few Teen-age oriented, online publications were reporting about Madonna's falling out with her "Hung Up" video director.

What gives with all the "teen" magazines reporting on Madonna? I find it terribly hard to believe that most teens today are that interested in her.

When GAP choose Madonna as a spokesperson, teens were interviewed at that time, and a few did not even know who Madonna was!

Well, hmmm - I can see how Madonna could be an interesting relic to some of them, since they might consider her a star from a more by-gone era, which would make her a tad mysterious to them, and in turn, appealing.

For those of us who were in our early or late teens during the 1980s (Madonna's 'hey day'), though, we aren't impressed, we saw her first hand at the time, so we know what an idiot she really is.

~But then, the media lends a hand, giving Madonna a sense of legitimacy.

If you were a teen today, and your choices are among Aguilera, Madonna, and Spears, I can see how you'd gravitate towards Madonna if you didn't know any better.

In comparison to today's 20-something pop tarts, Madonna must seem to have more substance, merely because she is older and has been around longer than the 20-something pop singers, and then, as I said, you have the media hyping her left and right.

When Spears went on her last tour, many journalists compared her unfavorably to Madonna in their reviews. I've no doubt that stuff like that might get a teen today to thinking that Madonna is better or more talented than someone like Spears.

Still, I would find it hard to believe that most teens would be interested in Man-donna.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tonygirl
Member Avatar

I am taking college classes, and as a 39 year old freshman, I notice a lot. Madonna is considered one of "my generation's own." Teen Speak for Old.
Out here, and I hear it's the same in many places, college kids are getting a bit more conservative. Things go in cycles anyway, but they look at her like an old relic of the 80s. Forget the Live 8 and all that...they think of her in the torn ghetto-slut clothes, and they recall the Sex book pics which are easy to find on the net.

flea dip
Member Avatar
Rock Star From Mars

Lady Chadwick,Sep 20 2005
04:55 PM
I am taking college classes, and as a 39 year old freshman, I notice a lot. Madonna is considered one of "my generation's own." Teen Speak for Old.
Out here, and I hear it's the same in many places, college kids are getting a bit more conservative. Things go in cycles anyway, but they look at her like an old relic of the 80s. Forget the Live 8 and all that...they think of her in the torn ghetto-slut clothes, and they recall the Sex book pics which are easy to find on the net.

Absolutely fascinating stuff (to me, anyway). You can be one of our anthropologists - or no, what do you call the people who live with a tribe to learn more about them? I forget.

I knew in the larger scheme of things, when Madonna dies, many in the media will remember her as being a slut, although they'll try to make it sound noble, e.g, "And Madonna boldly broke female sexual taboos, freeing many young women to be on an equal par with young men...." blah blah blah.

Then the rest of us, who were around in the 80s, normal folks, will just remember the slut part. :laugh:

Fascinating that the young 'uns view her as a trashy '80s icon past her prime, with a touch of her early '90s trash tossed in the mix.

The 1 Not Fooled
Member Avatar
Licensed & Board-certified!

This seems like a good place to put this link:
Madonna Jealous Of Younger, Sexier Simpsons

flea dip
Member Avatar
Rock Star From Mars

I watched about ten minutes of the game show "Jeopardy" today. I would assume that most everyone here is familiar with this game show, but for those of you who are not:

Categories are placed on a board, the contestants choose a category, are presented with an answer (a clue) and must respond with the correct question.

Example: a category might be "Breeds of Dogs," and the answer (clue) might be a photo of a German Shepard Dog. The first of the 3 contestants to figure it out must ring their buzzers and tell show host Alec Trebek, "What is a German Shepard?"

Today when I was watching, the contestants were kids, all around age 10 (they usually have adults on).

The category was "Blonde Ambition." The second or third clue was a photo of Madonna from her 'Reinvention' Tour. None of the three kids knew who she was! :laugh:

Alec was like, 'Anyone?! Anyone?!' None of them knew, so he had to tell them it was Madonna.

Meanwhile, I was yelling at the screen, "Who is Man-donna!"

If I had been a judge on their show, other acceptable responses, in or out of the form of a question, would have been:

1.) My eyes! Noooo, I've gone blind! What have you done to me, Alec???

2.) Who is Arnold Schwarzenegger?

3.) King Tut's Mummy?

4.) New strain of STDs?

5.) What is Madonna?

Tonygirl
Member Avatar

She is truly making an a$$ of herself now. She has airbrushed herself into a 20 year old to get a new crowd of fans, but teens are really smarter than she thinks. Remember when we were teens, we snickered at anyone over 30 who tried to look "cool." Maybe it was age-ism on our parts, but we did it.
If she releases those airbrushed pics she will really look desperate.
I don't know where her old carcass would be without computer generated music and digital photography.
I think it's time for her to retire to the estate and pimp out the daughter to maintain her and Berg's bank account.

flea dip
Member Avatar
Rock Star From Mars

Lady C., I forgot to mention one thing in my story about watching the game show. Not only did they show a photo of Madonna, but another part of the clue was Alec saying something like, "And she's a world famous pop singer and author of children's books like English Roses and Yakov and the Seven Thieves."

Even after he tossed in the bit about the kiddie books, the kid contestants on the show still had no idea who Man-donna was.

I found this interesting - if Madonna's kiddie books are so popular and well-known as her publicity machine claims, I think it safe to assume that surely at least one of those 3 kids would've known her based upon her books, but no! Which makes you wonder how popular those books really are.

(Not that I needed this Jeopardy game show to clue me in on it. I never have picked up a vibe that these Grandma-donna books are popular with kids. I just don't see the clamor for them in the same way one sees kids going nuts over the Harry Potter books.)

The 1 Not Fooled
Member Avatar

Noone knew who she was? I wished I'd have seen that - priceless. :good:

flea dip
Member Avatar
Rock Star From Mars

The 1 Not Fooled
Oct 14 2005, 01:22 PM
Noone knew who she was?  I wished I'd have seen that - priceless. :good:

I thought so too! It was funny.

None of the kids had any idea who Madonna was, none of them even rang their buzzers in an attempt to guess.

Even funnier, in the same category, one of them knew that Ellen Degeneres did the voice of a cartoon fish in some movie. They knew who Degeneres was but not Madonna, and I don't think Degeneres has written any kiddie books, has she? :laugh:

The 1 Not Fooled
Member Avatar

Madonna Nu has some pictures of Manny all tricked up attending some "private party", wearing a lot of purple, including a sequinned belt and a hot pink itty-bitty trendy purse. This looks absolutely ridiculous on a hag who's almost 50, so naturally I was provide links as soon as I can find some that will work! (I'm wondering who's raising the kids as she's spending all this time on photo ops and promotional crap.)

flea dip
Member Avatar
Rock Star From Mars

The 1 Not Fooled
Oct 16 2005, 10:01 PM
Madonna Nu has some pictures of Manny all tricked up attending some "private party", wearing a lot of purple, including a sequinned belt and a hot pink itty-bitty trendy purse. This looks absolutely ridiculous on a hag who's almost 50, so naturally I was provide links as soon as I can find some that will work! (I'm wondering who's raising the kids as she's spending all this time on photo ops and promotional crap.)

She should be raked over the coals for this outfit. Also, the hair? Puke-o-rama. It looks like it's from 1974.

Click to view larger -
Posted Image
direct link IS

The 1 Not Fooled
Member Avatar

That's the outfit. I don't think Lourdes is too impressed with how Mommy looks since she never spends any time with her. (Oh, I forgot about the photo op on her birthday. In the one shot, it almost looks like Madonna's presenting her with of box of freaking Kleenex.)

The 1 Not Fooled
Member Avatar

Back-handed Compliment:
Quote:

LOS ANGELES, Oct. 26 (UPI) -- He's been out of the spotlight for years and is only 43, but former Guns N' Roses wailer Axl Rose is a "cool" old person to teenage girls worldwide. The former Guns 'N Roses frontman was No. 2 -- behind only the collective "grandparents" -- in the poll of 10,000 teenage girls taken by Ellegirl magazine, MTV.com reported Wednesday. Rose topped the celebrity list even though it's been more than six years since Guns N' Roses released a new song and no one has actually even seen him for years, MTV noted. No. 3 in the voting was 75-year-old Clint Eastwood, followed by Elvis Costello, 51; Julie Andrews, 50; Karl Lagerfield, 67; Madonna, 47; the Rolling Stones Mick Jagger, 62; and Vivienne Westwood, 64.

flea dip
Member Avatar
Rock Star From Mars

Madonna isn't viewed by the young 'uns as being for them (see the part in bold face type below):

Tarted-up tweens the real Circus at Britney Spears show
  • By Lauren Beckham Falcone
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 -

Daddies, don’t let your babies grow up to be Britney fans.

The shirts were low-cut and the skirts were mini last night at TD Banknorth Garden, where fans - mostly girls younger than 25 but more than you’d like under 10 - tapped into their inner sex pot.

Spears’ public meltdowns, shaved head, hospitalizations, custody battles and countless upskirt shots dominated the gossip universe for the past two years, but that didn’t deter die-hard fans, who shelled out hundreds of dollars a ticket to see the blonde bombshell do what she does best - lip sync and gyrate

“This is her comeback, said Michele Dunn, 22, of Reading, a student at Salem State College. “She’s [Britney Spears is] our generation’s Madonna, I got the tickets for Christmas and I cried, I was so happy.”

anshirk
Member Avatar
madonna go away
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
flea dip
Mar 17 2009, 06:31 PM
“She’s [Britney Spears is] our generation’s Madonna

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Really? Nobody compares to vadge, nice try.

flea dip
Member Avatar
Rock Star From Mars

From a Britney Spears concert review.

The Riff: Britney's toxic wasted club
  • By Chris Riemenschneider, Star Tribune
    Last update: April 12, 2009

.... Most of the legions of young women at the show were old enough to smoke, but too young to know Madonna as anything other than that crazy old lady who adopts babies.

flea dip
Member Avatar
Rock Star From Mars

Cross posted to other threads:

Young people rate Beatles, Elvis Presley, Stones higher than Madonna in survey
  • A new survey by Pew Research Center seems to indicate that young people are more fond of the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Eagles and even Frank Sinatra than they are of Madonna, Nirvana and Kanye West.

Titled "Forty Years After Woodstock, A Gentler Generation Gap," it says that despite the big differences between younger and older adults in their values, use of technology, work ethic, and respect and tolerance for others, this modern generation gap is more subdued than the one that raged in the 1960s.

As the survey says, the generations appear to have found a way to disagree without being disagreeable.

While rock 'n' roll was a big source of conflict in many homes in the '60s, today 65% of respondents say they listen to rock either often or sometimes.

Even more interesting is who they listen to. Topping the first five spots were the Beatles, the Eagles, Johnny Cash, Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley.

Next comes the Stones, Aretha Franklin, Frank Sinatra, Carrie Underwood and Garth Brooks.

Among all the various age groups, the Beatles place in the top five among each, placing second among ages 16-29, third among 30-49
    , first among 50-64 and fourth among ages 65 and older.

Madonna placed 17th among the youngest group and no higher than 10th in any group. Kanye West placed fifth among ages 16-29.

Of course, surveys are all relative and many variables enter into them. But to see the Beatles and other vintage acts placing so well must warm the hearts of longtime music fans.

And the guys who pocket the money from us.
Battle of the bands: Beatles top poll of fan favourites through the generations
  • Ask people of various ages about their favourite music and what do you get? Perhaps more common ground between the generations than you'd expect.

A Pew Research Center survey found the Beatles high on the list of every age group and other acts from the 1960s and 1970s popular among people too young to have known them when they performed.

Among those under 30, Michael Jackson was the No. 1 pick. For those 30-49, the Eagles won out. People 50-64 picked the Beatles - the winners overall. For those 65 and older, Frank Sinatra can't be beat.

Rock was the favourite type of music for every age group except 65 and above. Older people preferred country music, followed by classical.

Top 20 acts in the poll:

1. Beatles

2. Eagles

3. Johnny Cash

4. Michael Jackson

5. Elvis Presley

6. Rolling Stones

7. Aretha Franklin

8. Frank Sinatra

9. Carrie Underwood

10. Garth Brooks

11. Jimi Hendrix

12. Bruce Springsteen

13. Mariah Carey

14. Bob Dylan

15. Jefferson Airplane

16. Nirvana

17. Madonna

18. Coldplay

19. Kanye West

20. Grateful Dead
Generations still differ, but with less hostility

Eagles, Johnny Cash Are Tops With Music Lovers Of All Ages

The Beat Goes On Thru Generations

Beatles Strike Chord Across Generations In Pew Study
  • Aug 12, 2009

No singer or band creates more harmony across the generations than the Beatles, according to a new survey from the Pew Research Center.

[The Beatles fared very well in Pew's music across the generations survey.]
    Getty Images
    The Beatles fared very well in Pew's music across the generations survey.
    The group conducted its own battle of the bands survey to see which music acts influenced different age groups.

"We didn't ask respondents to rank order the performers on our list. We simply asked if they like, dislike or don't know each of them. If they said they liked a performer, we asked if they liked that performer a little or a lot," Pew states in its survey overview.

One band that perfomed well across the board was the Beatles. According to the Pew ranking system, the Beatles appeared in the top 5 for each age group surveyed.

Here are the top picks for each age group surveyed:

* 16-29: Michael Jackson
    * 30-49: The Eagles
    * 50-64: The Beatles
    65 and older: Frank Sinatra

You can read the survey's overview here (scroll down the page for the music findings).
A look at the top bands that span generations

Pew Research: Your favorite band sucks (if you're between 30-46)
  • by Ryan White, The Oregonian
    Wednesday August 12, 2009, 8:00 AM

Bad news if you, like me, are between the ages of 30 and 46:

The Eagles are our favorite band.

Possibly worse news if you, unlike me, are between the ages of 16 and 29:

There's so little memorable music right now you're forced to tell researchers your favorite musician is the first guy to fall dead in front of you.

As part of a survey of generational changes since Woodstock (always Woodstock, isn't it?), Pew Research compiled a list of most popular musical performers by age.

And if you're 16-29, statistically your favorite musical performer is Michael Jackson, who, if you're 20, put out his most popular record when you were three.

However, the survey was conducted between July 25 and Aug. 2, about a month after Jackson's death. So the kids went out and bought the records and decided he was their favorite. Woe T-Pain. Sorry Ms. Ga Ga.

More than anything, the kids seem to be answering based on what they've seen in their parent's CD collections. Jefferson Airplane pulled 9-percent of the vote.Only Coldplay, Carrie Underwood and Kanye are remotely contemporary.

[snip a lot of content]

....The Beatles were the most popular act overall, followed by the Eagles, Johnny Cash, Michael Jackson and Elvis. There's your top five.

The 50 to 64 set digs most on the mop tops.

The 65+ demographic prefers Fox News. (And Sinatra.)

As for the rest of us, the 30-46s, the Eagles? Seriously?

flea dip
Member Avatar
Rock Star From Mars

:laugh:
12-year old: Who's Madonna?
  • posted by LisaCianci on Sep 15, 2009

I had a "feeling my age" moment the other night while watching MTV's video music awards with my son.

Sure, I'm in my 40s, but I'm not stuck in the '80s.

I like the old music, but I like new music, too. Recently my son was swimming with several friends, and I had my iPod docked on the porch, listening to music.

The boys enthusiastically endorsed my music choices. "Congratulations," my husband said sarcastically. "You have the same taste as 12-year-old boys."

At the beginning of the VMAs, Madonna came out to offer a heartfelt tribute to Michael Jackson.

That's when the trouble began.

"Who's that?" my son asked.

"Madonna."

"Who's Madonna?"

Huh? I mean, seriously, how can he not know who Madonna is? Ironically, he knows who Michael Jackson is, and after being exposed to his music after Jackson died, he's a big fan.

But Madonna? No way.

Time to start blaring some old music on the iPod.

Mhater
Material Poster
[ *  * ]
Well it's very obvious since her heyday (late 84 through 86) the teen/tween girl market has evaporated completely and so have her sales.

flea dip
Member Avatar
Rock Star From Mars

This could fit under several categories at the board, but because it focuses on which age groups are listening to what singers, I thought it would be most fitting to put it in this thread.

Today a Musical War Is Waged for Gay America's Soul
  • By Brian Moylan, 2:40 PM
    on Tue Sep 29 2009, 3,464 views

September 29th is a day that will go down in ginfamy (that is gay infamy) as the day that Mariah Carey, Madonna, Barbra Streisand, and Britney Spears battled for supremacy in gay hearts and minds. Who will stand victorious?

[snip content]

So, who will be the big victor in the Diva Death Battle 2009? Lady Gaga of course! What? She doesn't even have an album out today! Precisely, but she is poised to be the gay icon of the youngest babygays that are just taking their first fledgling steps on the big pink road we call queendom.

While there is definitely plenty of crossover between the Madonna/Mariah/Britney crowd, only confirmed bachelors of a certain age are going to be purchasing the new Streisand.

Every generation of gays gets their own singing female deity to worship (whether we like it or not), and as Streisand crowd ages and the diva herself gets closer to retirement age, it's going to be up to Gaga and her ilk to entertain "the children."

Madonna's influence may spread now that her greatest hits CD will educate a new generation of kids, but those dancing at Campus Thursdays at the local gay bar weren't even born when "Burning Up" was first burning up the charts.

Mariah is no spring chicken either, and her album of slow jams isn't really ready made for dance floor remixes that will spread her new sound across the floors of a thousand gay dance palaces.

As long as Britney can hold it together, she'll continue to be relevant for a certain crowd that came out to her hits earlier this decade, but it's Gaga who will be holding sway from 2010 on.

Let's just hope that she has enough kooky kostumes in that pretty little head of hers to keep her going for the next 20 years, when the rest of us are sitting around telling our gay nephews, "When I was your age, Madonna, Mariah, and Barbra once came out with new CDs on the same day!"

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Madonna Blows Chunks · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Disclaimer: The contents of the posts contained herein are the sole property of their respective users and do not necessarily reflect the forum's views as a whole.
All content Copyright © 2005-2013 The Anti-Madonna Discussion Board, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.